New French Smoking Laws: Design Opportunity
From February 2007 smoking in schools, offices, cafes, bars and discos will be banned in France.
As a result, French companies are starting to purchase and equip "fumoirs", or other kinds of shelters and are sourcing foreign companies to supply and design new equipment.
The decree introducing the smoking ban in all public areas provides tight characteristics required from the area(s) put at the disposal of smokers:
- The smoking shelters must not be situated in a transit area.
- The designated area can reach up to 20% of the company's surface, but should not exceed 35 sqm.
- The 'smoking shelters' should be hermetically closed and include an automatic closing system.
- The mechanical air extraction system must allow for a minimal indoor air renewal of ten times the total air volume per hour.
- The establishment's hygiene and security committee will have to be consulted prior to any set up.