Don't miss the latest stories
Apple Unveils iOS 7
By Anthea Quay, 11 Jun 2013
Tech giant Apple has unveiled its latest operating system for its mobile devices, iOS 7.
The complete design overhaul is claimed to be “the most significant iOS update since the original iPhone”, according to Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering, Craig Federighi, in a statement; and features a minimalistic, flat look (a change in color palette and typography) and new features.
The improved new features of the free update—for iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, iPad mini and iPod Touch (fifth generation)—include:
- Control Center: Accessible from the bottom of your screen. Would contain controls for Airplane Mode, WiFi, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb, screen brightness, music playing control panel, Clock, Camera, Calculator and Flashlight.
- Notification Center: Available from Lock screen, so users can see their notifications with a swipe. New ‘Today’ feature to view summary of the day, such as weather, traffic, meetings and events.
- Multitasking: Switching apps becomes more intuitive. Most-used apps get kept up-to-date in the background.
- AirDrop: Enables users to share content with people nearby, fully encrypted, without any network set up.
- Camera: Gets filters for users to add real-time photo effects. Has a ‘square’-shape option. Users can easily switch among video, photo, square and panorama in a swipe.
- Photos: This app introduces ‘Moments’, to organize photos and videos based on time and location.
- Safari: The web browser gets a redesigned user interface for full-screen browsing to see more content. There’s a smart search field, a new bookmarks view, and tabs.
- Siri: Siri gets new male and female voices, and includes Twitter, Wikipedia and Bing search integration.
- Music: New design and includes iTunes Radio—a free internet radio service with over 200 stations, and plays music based on the music you listen to on iTunes.
Blocking specific people from contacting you via Phone, FaceTime and Messages;
Find My iPhone Activation Lock requires Apple ID and password before turning off, erasing data, or reactivating device;
FaceTime audio for calls over data network;
Night Mode in Maps for using it in the dark;
Notification sync for dismissing notifications on all devices.
According to Apple, the new interface “makes your phone appear bigger because everything is designed to take advantage of the entire screen”.
iOS 7 will be available this fall.
What do you think of Apple’s new operating system for its mobile devices?
More related news
Also check out these recent news