YouTuber Cements Head Inside Microwave For Stunt, Firefighters Have To Save Him
By Yoon Sann Wong, 11 Dec 2017
Video screenshot via TGFbro
Stories about social media users embarking on extreme, highly risky stunts in attempts to go viral or desperately gain more followers aren’t new, and unfortunately, some of such endeavors have ended in death.
This recent foolish shenanigan by 22-year-old YouTuber Jay Swingler, from Wolverhampton, England and his co-star Rommel Henry, thankfully did not lead to any loss of lives, but was nonetheless inane and severely maddened the West Midlands Fire Service.
The YouTube duo thought it’d be a great idea to put Swingler’s head into a microwave before filling it with Polyfilla, the building material that’s used to plaster walls. However, Swingler’s breathing tube got blocked and his friends tried to dismantle the setup to no avail, forcing them to contact emergency services.
Not only did the YouTube prankster put his life at risk, but also unnecessarily occupied the resources of the emergency service.
West Midlands Fire Service tweeted, “We’re seriously unimpressed. Five of our firefighters were tied up for an hour this afternoon, freeing a YouTube pranker [sic] whose head had been ‘cemented’ inside a microwave oven.”
In a blog post, Watch Commander Shaun Dakin, the officer-in-charge who responded to the distress call, explained, “He and a group of friends had mixed seven bags of Polyfilla which they then poured around his head, which was protected by a plastic bag inside the microwave.”
“The oven was being used as a mould, and wasn’t plugged in. The mixture quickly set hard and, by the time we were called, they’d already been trying to free him for an hour and a half.”
“Taking the microwave apart was tricky, because a lot of it was welded. We video-called our technical rescue colleagues for advice and eventually managed to get him unstuck.”
“He was very relieved when we removed a large chunk of the Polyfilla with a screwdriver, allowing him to breathe more easily. But we had to be extremely careful with the screwdriver, working so closely to his head.”
“It took us nearly an hour to free him. All of the group involved [was] very apologetic, but this was clearly a call-out which might have prevented us from helping someone else in genuine, accidental need.”
The YouTuber has uploaded the video to his channel, complete with dramatic music and the opening line, “The following footage isn’t a joke and I really wish this was click bait…but as all of you know, nothing on this channel is click bait….Do not try this at home.”
Unsurprisingly, many YouTube viewers were also unimpressed by the stupidity, reflected in the top comments that you can read below.
We're seriously unimpressed 😡.— West Midlands Fire (@WestMidsFire) December 7, 2017
Five of our firefighters were tied up for an hour this afternoon, freeing a YouTube pranker whose head had been 'cemented' inside a microwave oven. Read more: https://t.co/6bZReGuKQX (Photos © West Midlands Fire Service) pic.twitter.com/2ch2UhszeH
Image screenshot via TGFbro
Image screenshot via TGFbro
[via TGFbro and West Midlands Fire Service, images via video screenshot]
More related news